Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Let's talk about grammar.

I am not perfect.  I spell things incorrectly.  Sometimes it's because of a brain fart and sometimes it's due to that pesky auto-correct.  Sometimes I use the wrong punctuation.  Sometimes I end a sentence with a preposition.  (I am from Texas.)  I've been known to use at with where, on occasion.  (Trent cannot stand it.)  We're all human, right?  However, there is an epidemic out there.  An epidemic that needs to be addressed.  One that is quite evident on social media.  I'm talking about grammar.  



I hope this post doesn't come across as judgmental.  That is not my intent.  It's all in good fun.  And maybe someone will be helped =)


Recently, I was confused on a punctuation problem in regards to parentheses.  Turns out, there is a time to punctuate inside the parenthetical statement and a time to punctuate outside the parenthetical statement.  Who knew?  I must've not paid attention that day in class.  

I was confused, so I consulted the google and found this explanation.  Praise Jesus it all makes sense now!!!  Hallelujah.



I know how it is to be in a hurry and want to post something brilliant on Facebook and not think about grammar.  (When Trent proposed and I updated my status, I typed chappel instead of chapel.  Dang it.)  And I'm still very confused how to punctuate when using quotation marks.  I googled it and am even more confused now.  (If you have a trick or tip with that, let me know.)  

What I'm talking about are the repeat offenders.  You know who they are in your newsfeed.  Specifically when it comes to homonyms. 




There is a difference between:
  • your and you're
  • to, too, two
  • hear and here
  • there, they're, their
  • it's and its

There is also a difference between:
  • than and then
  • when to use I and me


If you are confused on which to use or shocked to find out there is a difference, I hope you feel informed.  We're all in this together.

And remember, we're not perfect.  Lord knows all rules do not apply in this age of 140 characters or less.  I simply wanted to provide a public service announcement.  











No comments:

Post a Comment