Wednesday, March 23, 2016

** A Room Fit For A Princess **

Oh what fun it was to put together a room for a little girl.  Sticking to my true self, a lot of this stuff was cheap or free or I already had.  Also, no one can ever accuse me of liking bare walls.  Ha!

The room quickly became a place for special things from the women in my life.  I didn't set out that way, but I love how it turned out...

I knew I wanted mint green and coral because our mint green dresser was being moved upstairs and I didn't want to paint it again.  So, I bought fabric from Walmart for the curtains and dust ruffle and off I went.


I added touches of gold and yellow, too.
 

The flowers are made out of tissue paper!  So cute and easy and cheap.

(I need to lower that top one.  It's bothering me.)

The glider was $10 on Craigslist and the lady threw in the ottoman.  Score.  I painted, sanded, and recovered the cushions with fabric I found for $1/yard!  (Don't look too closely...they're not perfect.)

For the inquiring minds, this is what it looked like before:

I LOVE the embroidery hoops with fabric.  Most of the fabric is from my Nana and some of the hoops are from her, too.  And now it has even more meaning, as Nana went to be with Jesus early Friday morning.  I'm so glad Amelia has some of Nana's belongings as well as another angel watching over her.

Oliver and I added seashells to the jars because I love them.

The Nancy Drew books were my mom's, the table also from Nana, and the vintage tin is from Honey Lue.

Spray painted branches, a thrifted sign (it says, "Be patient.  God's not finished with me yet."  And Oliver got one, too.), the letter A, and a hymnal wreath I made years ago.  I like how the branches tie into the branches on the shelf!

I have had these shutters for 10 years and they were sitting in my parents' storage until I needed them.  They're perfect for Miss Amelia.  The mirror was silver, but a quick coat of spray paint and voila!
 (Also, a cream latter and white table/chair will be added to this wall when my mom comes!)

Busy?  Yes.  But I like it that way...

A little gallery wall:
Chalkboard, her name, the Merton Prayer from GiGi (read below), a picture of us and her in my belly, my sisters' and my silhouette from when we were little, a print I made (see below), heart in an embroidery hoop of Nana's, thrifted funky shelf with an angel from Grandma (my mom's mom - also in heaven), and an owl Oliver picked out.


"What if I fall?  Oh but my darling...what if you fly?"

The Merton Prayer:
"My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it. Therefore I will trust you always, though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone."

Sweet little girl won't be in the room at first, but it was A BLAST getting a nursery together.  With Oliver, we only had a little space to set up for him, so I really wanted to enjoy this part of nesting.

Now, we wait.  We're ready as we'll ever be.  I'm paying close attention to my body and all the different feelings in my tummy area.  Wouldn't an Easter baby be sweet?  

No comments:

Post a Comment